State Benefits

We've done the research for you!

Will you be eligible for WA state benefits?

The Australian government provide a benefit service similar to the UK. Families may be entitled to family tax benefit and child care benefit depending on their financial income and residency status. To find out if you qualify you can use the online estimator on the Australian Government Department of Human Services website.


Family Tax Benefit
Family Tax Benefit is a payment to help you with the cost of raising dependent children. It is similar to the child and working tax credits in the UK. In Australia Family Tax Benefit has two parts.

Part A is designed to help with the cost of raising children. It is payable to a parent/guardian for a child aged under the age of 21 or a dependent full time student aged between 21 and 24 years.

Part B is designed to provide extra help to families with one main income earner, including sole parent families with a dependent full time student up to the age of 18 years.

The amount of Family Tax Benefit you can receive will depend on your family’s individual circumstances.

You can choose to get your Family Tax Benefit paid fortnightly into your bank account or paid as a lump sum at the end of the financial year. Please note in Australia the financial year ends June 30th.


Child Care Benefit
Child Care Benefit is a payment from the Australian Government that helps you with the cost of your child care

You will only be eligible for Child Care Benefit if:

Your child meets the immunisation requirements or has an exemption

You meet residency requirements or have an exemption

Your child attends approved or registered care and you are liable for the child care fees.

To apply for childcare benefit you can lodge a claim on line at or visit your local Family Assistance Office. Check our helpful hints for your local Centrelink.

You can receive your child care benefit paid directly to your child care provider as reduced fees. This is best suited if your family income is stable and unlikely to change. Or you can have it paid to you as a lump sum at the end of the tax year.

The government also offers a child care rebate to help you with the cost of child care. This rebate covers 50% of out-of-pocket child care expenses for approved child care up to the maximum legislated amount per year per child in approved care.


Having a Baby
Australian Citizens and permanent residents may be entitled to maternity leave and parental pay. You will need to meet a certain criteria based on your residency, work period and taxable income.

For full details please visit the Australian Government Department of Human Services website